Fire-retardancy (FR) of products such as tents, plastic sheeting and blankets has become increasingly important. To evaluate the FR capacities, we perform both lab and real-life tests.
We have learned that non FR-tents have a burnout time of less than a minute, which may prove a fatal threat for the end-recipient. Therefore, we offer FR solutions for all of our products regardless of the main fabric used (PE, polycotton or fleece).
- The poly-cotton family tents as well as our PE based multipurpose and geodesic family tents hold fire resistance certificates based on internationally recognized testing methods (CPAI 84-6).
- Our plastic sheeting is fire retardant with the fabric being impregnated in the core during the production process.
- Our fleece blankets are cigarette and fire-proof following ISO 12952 regulations.
Interesting to know:
- PE is inherently slow flame spread, meaning it will slow the spread of fire without any FR chemical surface treatment.
- In order to imbue the poly-cotton material with FR qualities, the fabric receives a chemical surface treatment. As the chemicals are applied on the surface areas, the end-user should be advised to limit the direct contact with the fabric (mainly for babies and young children). Secondary FR treatment of the poly-cotton fabric also considerably increases its overall weight.
- Our fleece blankets are FR and cigarette burn-proof, while they are not chemically treated on the surface. There is no direct contact between the skin and any harmful chemicals/substances that may cause irritation, itching or general discomfort.